Other non-Mexican friends, if you choose to celebrate Cinco de Mayo tomorrow, please:
1. Educate yourself about what Cinco de Mayo is. Hint: it’s not equivalent to Fourth of July and it’s not a huge deal for most Mexicans
2. Don’t engage in cultural appropriation. (Here’s what not to do.)
3. Feel free to engage in cultural appreciation. Is there a Latino cultural center near you? Maybe they’re doing something cool.
4. Remind yourself of modern struggles that face Mexicans and Mexican Americans. People are fighting the racism, xenophobia and problematic economic policies that hurt them.
5. If you’re drinking, be responsible about it. Stay accountable, don’t drive and don’t sexually assault people.
(Add things if you feel like. This isn’t a complete list.)